Cooking Salmon 101
5 Ways to Cook Salmon
- Poached: add lemon slices, pepper corns and thyme to water, bring to a boil, add salmon and simmer 20 minutes or until it flakes. This is a great low calorie way to cook salmon and then use it in other dishes where you will add more flavour such as salmon wraps or casseroles
- Pan Fried: Add olive oil to your heated pan, season fish and cook 3 minutes per side, flipping once. This fish will have a crispy surface and tender centre
- Baked: On a parchment lined cookie sheet cook salmon in 400 degrees oven for 10-12 minutes.
- BBQ: Clean and oil your grill first. Preheat BBQ to medium high, season fish with salt and pepper (adding salt to the fish will help prevent sticking when cooking). Cook 4-5 minutes then flip when the fish appears to be releasing from the grill. Don’t try to flip it too soon or it will sick. Finish cooking another 2-4 minutes.
- Parchment Packet: Preheat oven to 400 degrees, place fish in parchment paper with oil and seasoning, cover and fold up all edges of the parchment to form a packet. Fish will steam in packet in 13-15 minutes.
5 Ways to Flavour Baked Salmon
- Honey Soy: combine garlic, ginger, lemon, soy sauce and honey. Pour over salmon and bake. Garnish with green onions.
- Spice Rub: Add salt, pepper, paprika and cumin. Bake. Top with salsa such as avocado, cilantro, purple onion and lime juice.
- Parmesan Crust: Combine panko, salt, chopped fresh parsley and parmesan. Dip fish in whipped egg and then dredge in panko mixture. Bake on parchment.
- Lemon Dill: season fish with salt and pepper. Top with fresh dill and lemon slices. Bake.
- Italian tomato and Pesto: place salmon on a bed of sliced zucchini, spread pesto on salmon and top with sliced cherry tomatoes. Bake.