Beer Braised Pot Roast
Tender, flavourful and aromatic! Try our garlic mashed potatoes recipe with it as a tasty side dish!
Preheat a heavy bottom pot, dutch oven or crock pot, over medium-high heat.
In a small amount of vegetable oil, brown pot roast on all sides, 3-4 mins.
Remove roast from pot and lower heat to medium-low.
Add butter, onions, fennel and carrots. Sauté until softened, 8 mins.
Add beer to pot and bring to a boil for 5 mins.
Add bay leaf, thyme and place roast back in pot.
Reduce heat to simmer and place lid on top of pot.
Cook 2 ½ - 3 hours or until roast is fork-tender.
- 3-4 lb beef roast
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 bulb fennel, coarsely chopped
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 pints good artisanal beer (dark beer preferably)
- 1 small bunch fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste