Holy jalapeno! This is soul food with a kick. Eat it with a steaming bowl of chili or tomato soup. COOK TIME: 22 Minutes YIELD: 12 Servings
- Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 400° F.
- Butter two 9-inch pie plates or muffin tins.
- Whisk together dry ingredients, blend well.
- Whisk buttermilk, oil, and cilantro in medium bowl and add to flour mixture. Stir to combine.
- Add peppers, corn, jalapenos and cheese*, stir and pour into pie plates or muffin tins.
- Bake until the tops begin to brown and a toothpick comes out clean (approximately 22 minutes).
- Let them cool and enjoy.
*Tip: Add ½ cup of grated sharp cheddar cheese for extra flavour.
- 1 ½ Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2/3 Cup Yellow Cornmeal
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- ¾ Tsp Salt
- ½ Tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Cup Chilled 1% Buttermilk
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 Tbsp Chopped Cilantro
- 2 Tbsp Jalapenos, Minced (No Seeds)
- ¼ Cup Diced Red Bell Peppers
- ¼ Cup Corn Niblets
- 2 Large Eggs