Ultimate Trout & Asparagus Dinner
Take a bite into this delectable dish and you'll see why it's the ultimate! Pair this with your favourite white wine for the ultimate experience
- Preheat the oven to 440 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper (aluminum foil will make it more moist, parchment more crispy).
- In a skillet or small saucepan, melt the butter. Add the shallot and cook on medium heat for 3 minutes, until the shallot softens.
- Add the garlic and the lemon zest, cook for another minute. Cool and squeeze in half of the lemon juice. Stir lightly.
- Cut the fish up into fillets around 3-4 inches across. Place the fish on the prepared baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the asparagus into a mixing bowl, and drizzle with the olive oil. Toss to coat the spears, then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, garlic, salt, and pepper. Arrange the asparagus onto the baking sheet in a single layer.
- Spoon the butter over the fish and asparagus, leaving a couple spoonfuls behind.
- Sprinkle with half of the minced dill.
- Roast in the oven for 11-13 minutes, depending on how thick the fish is.
- While it’s cooking, cut up some cherry tomatoes and toss with arugala + spinach, drizzle with some virgin olive oil and vinegar as a simple side salad.
- While the fish is roasting, heat up the saucepan again on medium-high heat and add the butter that was set aside.
- Take the fish out (it will not be fully cooked) and put it in the pan to sear for 90 seconds on each side, or until a nice lightly browned crust has formed.
- Squeeze the other half of the lemon over the fish and asparagus and sprinkle with more fresh dill.
- Plate each fillet with some asparagus and serve with the salad.
- 1 steelhead trout or salmon fillet
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 2 handfuls spinach
- 1 handful arugala
- 1 dozen cherry tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh dill, minced
- salt, pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- 1 lemon, 1 teaspoon of zest and all the freshly squeezed juice