Vietnamese Salad Rolls
Naturally sweet and savoury, these refreshing rolls are perfect for the Summer!
- 1 package (8 oz.) rice vermicelli noodles
- 8 rice wrappers, approximately 6.5 inches in diametre
- 1 cup shrimp or prawns (cooked, peeled and deveined)
- 1 carrot, julienned or shredded
- 1 cup of shredded or 8 leaves of green lettuce
- 1 cup of herbs (cilantro and/or Thai basil)
- 1-2 cups of bean sprouts
- water as needed
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup plain water or coconut water (for extra flavour and nutrients)
- pinch of sugar *optional
- handful of chopped roasted peanuts *optional
In a pot, bring water to a boil and cook the rice vermicelli noodles according to the instructions on the package. Once the noodles are cooked, drain and rinse with cold water. Put aside.
In a sauce pan over low heat, add the hoisin sauce and peanut butter. Mix together and add sugar. Once the sauce begins to mix well, turn the heat off. Slowly add a little bit of water and continuing stirring until you reach your desired consistency. Add more water if you like a more runny sauce. Transfer your sauce into a dipping bowl and top with chopped roasted peanuts for extra texture
Fill a large bowl with warm water. Quickly dip the rice paper into the water and place on your working surface, leave a small portion of the wrap off the surface to make it easier to lift up later.
Begin by placing your lettuce, herbs, carrots, beansprouts and noodles on the upper half of the wrap. Place the shrimp on the bottom half of the wrap.
Start rolling your wrap from the end with most of the ingredients, once you are half-way done rolling, fold the ends in and then finish rolling. Continue until you use up all your ingredients.
Dip your rolls in to the peanut sauce and dig in!