Cheesy, delicious and easy to make!
- 2 fresh artichokes
- 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic, divided
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1/2 Tbsp thyme
- 1/2 Tbsp parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 c finely chopped onions
- Trim and clean the fresh artichokes, leaving the stem on.
- Add the artichokes into a pot and fill with water, covering by 1 inch.
- Bring to a boil then add two slices of lemon, 1/2 tbsp of minced garlic, salt, bay leaf, and a pinch of black pepper. Also squeeze the rest of lemon juice in to water.
- Boil at a high simmer for about 30 minutes until the artichoke is done. Check for doneness by poking the stem with a knife. Fresh artichoke is done when you poke through the stem with a knife.
- Remove the artichokes and set aside. Discard the rest of the ingredients in the pot.
- Let the artichoke cool down a bit so that it is safe to handle.
- To get the heart of the artichoke, pull off outer petals, one at a time. You can scrape the white fleshy end with a spoon and use this for your dip. Continue peeling until all of the petals are removed. With a knife or spoon, scrape out and discard the inedible fuzzy part. Cut the artichoke heart into small pieces and set aside.
- Preheat oven at 400F.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add butter until melted then onions and saute for 3 minutes. Add 1T of minced garlic and saute until soft. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add sour cream, mayo, parmesan cheese, dijon mustard, parsley, thyme, 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese, the cooked onions, garlic, and artichokes. Mix well then add to a small baking dish top with remainder of mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 10 mins. Then turn on broiler for 2 mins until cheese is melted and golden brown.
- Serve with crusty bread.