No more frozen tater tots!
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Place peeled potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with cold water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil and cook until parboiled, about 7 minutes; drain well and let cool.
- Finely shred potatoes using a grater. With a clean dish towel, drain potatoes completely, squeezing out as much water as possible.
- Transfer potatoes to a large bowl. Stir in flour, garlic powder, onion powder then season with salt and pepper, to taste. The mixture should be workable but dry. Form potatoes into desired shapes.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add tater tots into the stockpot in batches, being careful not to overcrowd. Cook until evenly golden and crispy, about 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Garnish with parsley then serve immediately.
*To level up your tater tots, sprinkle shredded cheese, bacon, green onion then top with a dollop of sour cream before serving.