The taste of lasagna in the form of comforting soup
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1lb lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3-5 garlic cloves, minced, to taste
- 4 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth, then more to thin as desired
- 4 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 (14.5 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 1/2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 3/4 tsp dried basil
- 3/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 lasagna noodles, broken into bite size pieces
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- fresh basil for garnish, optional
- Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally until browned. Drain fat and set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil in pot, add diced onion and saute until it begins to soften, about 3 minutes. Add in garlic and saute 30 seconds longer.
- Add in chicken broth, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme, browned ground beef and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring just to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare lasagna noodles according to package directions.
- Stir cooked pasta into soup along with parsley
- If the texture of the soup is too thick for your liking, you can add a little more broth.
- Ladle soup into bowls, top with shredded mozzarella and sprinkle with chopped fresh basil or parsley