All About The Sweet Potato
Sweet potatoes would have to be one of the most versatile ingredients in the kitchen. Baked, smashed, mashed, stuffed, or candied... whichever way you have it, it'll always taste delicious!
How to buy and choose sweet potatoes
- Choose small to medium-size sweet potatoes
- They should be firm
- Look for smooth skin and no bruises or cracks
- Pre-bagged sweet potatoes may be a better buy than individual pieces.
Storing sweet potatoes
Keep sweet potatoes in a cool, dry, dark place. Use within a week. Do not refrigerate. Handle with care as they can bruise easily.
Tips for cooking sweet potatoes
- Before using, scrub sweet potatoes with a produce brush while rinsing under cool water. Cut off any bruised parts.
- For added fibre, leave the skin on. Just like regular potatoes, you can eat the skin.
- Cooking releases the sweetness and wonderful taste
- Choose low fat cooking methods such as grilling, stir frying, roasting, steaming, boiling, sautéing or even cooking in the microwave.
Roasted Sweet Potato Recipe
Easy Roasted Sweet Potatoes with irresistible caramelised edges and incredible flavour! Only 5 ingredients to get you hooked, this sweet potato recipe is so easy to make! An incredible side dish ready to be served with absolutely anything.
- 2 pounds (1 kg) sweet potatoes, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic (8 cloves garlic)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 220°C | 425°F. Lightly spray a baking sheet or tray with cooking oil spray.
- Arrange the sweet potatoes on the sheet in one layer, and add the oil, salt, pepper, and garlic. Toss until the potatoes are well coated and seasoned. Roast in the oven for 45 -55 minutes, while flipping occasionally, until fork tender.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and season with a little extra salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle over with parsley and serve immediately!