Fondue It Right
Fondue is a unique eating experience that refers to a communal pot filled with a cheese mixture or chocolate in which you dip other foods into. Follow these tips for the best fondue ever!
Making fondue requires some special tools:
- fondue pot
- heat source
- long forks or skewers
Depending on which fondue you're making, you may need a specific pot. Ceramic pots are better for chocolate as it heats up slower and uses lower heat. Metal pots can get hotter which is better for cheese fondue. Enamel pots are good for either.
- melt it nice and slow for the best texture
- Alpine cheeses (think gruyere, emmental, appenzeller) are some of the meltiest cheeses there are! Which make great choices for fondue
- don't forget about herbs!
- Bread - Crusty bread is a must! For the ultimate fondue experience, have two different types of bread. Something classic like a baguette or sourdough, and include bread with either nuts or dried fruit
- Potatoes - Cheese and potatoes is a matchmade in foodie-heaven! Roasted potatoes, baked wedges, even fries - they all will be great with cheese
- Fruit - Apples and pears are great on a cheeseboard, so why not try it with melted cheese! Make sure to choose apples and pears that are more on the crisp side.
- Vegetables - Broccoli, cauliflower, bell pepper, artichoke hearts, Brussels sprouts... the options are endless!
- Meat & Seafood - Cubed steak, cured meats like salami, chorizo, and even shrimp all will pair nicely with cheese fondue
- choose a high quality chocolate
- avoid adding moisture like water
- if the chocolate gets lumpy, add small amounts of vegetable oil
- consider mix-ins like cinnamon and vanilla for something a little different
- Fruit - This is a must. Strawberries are probably the classic choice but apples, bananas, kiwi, all are great too.
- Crackers - Graham crackers and pretzels are terrific
- Marshmallows - Pair it with those graham crackers for a fondue s'mores!
- Bacon - This might be a "unique" one but bacon goes great with desserts!
- Churro or Donuts - If you love churros and donuts, you already know it's going to be great with chocolate
West VancouverFleetwood SurreyPanorama SurreyWhistlerVancouver HouseKamloopsWalnut Grove
West VancouverFleetwood SurreyPanorama SurreyWhistlerVancouver HouseKamloops