5 Ways to Improve Your Diet
Eating better for 2020 is not just about what you eat, but also how you eat, where you eat and who you eat with.
1. Cook more at Home.
Cooking at home helps you learn new skills, rely less on highly processed foods, control the amount of salt and fat, save money and choose healthy ingredients your family likes to eat. Start with breakfasts with simple make ahead overnight Oats. Then move to bringing lunch to work and cooking dinners at home.
2. Eat with Others.
People of all ages who eat with others eat better. They tend to eat more fruits and vegetables and other nutrient-rich foods. They also eat less pop and fried foods.
3. Eat more plant proteins.
Plant-based protein foods can provide more fibre and less saturated fat than other types of protein foods. This can be beneficial for your heart health. Add nuts, soy and legumes in place of meat. Almonds can provide sustained energy and are a great source of fibre, protein and calcium. They are easily portable so you can sprinkle them on a salad, have them as a snack or blend them into a smoothie. Try this delicious quinoa and kale salad with chickpeas and almonds.
4. Increase Fibre and feed your Microbiome.
A healthy microbiome can help keep off extra weight, boost immunity, protect your joints and even help prevent life-threatening conditions like heart disease and cancer. Add foods containing fructans such as leeks, onions, garlic, asparagus, raspberries, bananas and pears.
5. Reduce Refined Sugar.
Sugar has calories with no added nutrients. Try to reduce sugar sweetened beverages such as specialty coffees, pop and sports drinks or vitamin waters with milk, water, tea, unsweetened coffee or ½ cup 100% pure OJ which can be also be added to sparkling water for a nutrient boost. 100% OJ is a good source of vitamin C, potassium and folate.
Overnight Oats with OJ, almonds and blueberries and grapes
- 3/4 cup 100% OJ
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup vanilla almond milk
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp chia
- Dash cinnamon
- ½ cup toasted sliced almonds
- Orange zest
- 1 cup grapes and blueberries
1. Combine all ingredients except fruit and almonds.
2. Divide between 2-3 mason jars.
3. Top with fruit and nuts.
4. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Black Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup black quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 cup chopped red peppers
- 1 cup chickpeas, cooked
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup chopped mint
- 1/2 cup purple onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup 100% pure OJ
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Bring quinoa to a boil in 2 cups of water, simmer 15 minutes, let sit 5 minutes covered. Remove the lid and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, remove thick stem from kale and chop finely
- In a bowl combine cooled black quinoa with kale, peppers, chickpeas, carrot, parsley, mint and purple onion.
- Make dressing by combining vinegar, OJ, oil, and mustard.
- Toss salad with dressing and serve chilled.