Perfect holiday dessert!
- 4 cups fresh raspberries or blackberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- your choice of base! we suggest, lemon cake, granola, graham crackers or cookies!
- First thing's first, make the jam! (for the short-cut version, use your favourite berry jam)
- Blend together 1 1/2 cup of the raspberries or blackberries, lemon juice and white sugar. Then, bring to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir frequently. After about 5 minutes, or when the mixture has reduced to 3/4, mix together 4 tsp of water with the cornstarch and then add it into the jam mixture. Bring this to a boil for about 1 minute, stirring until it thickens into a jam consistency. Transfer to a bowl, cover and let it cool in the refrigerator.
- Next, the mascarpone cream!
- Whisk together the mascarpone cheese, icing sugar and vanilla extract until blended. Beat the whipping cream on medium speed until stiff peaks are formed. Fold the whipped cream mixture with the mascarpone cheese.
- Finally, the assembling!
- In a small glass or jar, add your choice of cake, granola, graham cracker crumbs or cookie crumbles. Add a layer of the mascarpone cream, then a layer of jam, another layer of the cream and top it off with some fresh berries. Dust it off with some icing sugar for the final touch!
- Voila! You're done!
Recipe yields 6