A great way to use local prune plums!
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons plus 1 cup flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 10 to 12 Italian prune plums, halved and pitted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
Heat the oven to 375° F.
In a small bowl, mix the brown sugar, 1 1/2 tablespoons of flour, 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon, and the ground ginger. Add the plum halves and gently toss to combine. Arrange, cut side up, in a 9-inch pie plate set on a baking sheet.
In another small bowl, combine the granulated sugar, baking powder, remaining 1 cup flour, remaining 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, and the salt. Stir in the egg and the vanilla extract. Use your hands to squeeze and mix thoroughly to form soft clumps and bits. Scatter pinches of the dough evenly over the plums.
Pour the butter evenly over the topping and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the top is browned and the plums tender. Serve warm or at room temperature, with ice cream, mascarpone, yogurt, or whipped cream.