Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
The perfect spring recipe! And a great treat for Mother's Day
- pie crust dough (1 for bottom 1 for top)
- 3 cups sliced rhubarb (1/2 inch pieces)
- 2 and 1/2 cups chopped strawberries
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten with 1 Tablespoon (15ml) milk
- optional: coarse sugar for garnish
- Make the filling: Stir the rhubarb, strawberries, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cornstarch, salt, orange juice, and vanilla extract together in a large bowl. Set filling aside as the oven preheats.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C).
- Roll out one disk of pastry dough and line the bottom of a pie dish with it. Trim to 1/2 inch from the edge. Transfer the filling into the crust and spread out evenly.
- Roll out the second disk of pastry dough and place over the pie. Trim the edges to an inch from the edge of the pie dish. Tuck the top crust edges over the bottom crust edges and use your fingers or a fork to crimp the top and bottom edges together. Cut slits in the top for the steam to escape.
- Lightly brush the top of the pie crust with the egg/milk mixture. Sprinkle the top with a little coarse sugar, if desired.
- Place the pie onto a large baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Keeping the pie in the oven, turn the temperature down to 350°F (177°C) and bake for an additional 25-30 minutes. After the first 20 minutes of bake time, I place a pie crust shield on top of the pie to prevent the edges from browning too quickly.
- Allow the pie to cool for 3 full hours at room temperature before serving. This time allows the filling to thicken up. Cover leftovers tightly and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.