Perfect for lunch or dinner, you'll feel just as stuffed as these peppers!
- 1/2 c. uncooked rice or quinoa
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 bell peppers, tops and cores removed
- 1 c. shredded cheese of your choice
- Freshly chopped green onion and cilantro, for garnish
- avocado, diced for serving
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- In a small saucepan, prepare rice or quinoa according to package instructions.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Cook onion until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Add ground beef and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, 6 minutes. Drain fat.
- Stir in cooked rice or quinoa and diced tomatoes. Season with chili powder, salt, and pepper. Let simmer until liquid has reduced slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Place peppers cut side-up in a 9"-x-13" baking dish and drizzle with oil. Spoon mixture into each pepper and top with cheese, then cover baking dish with foil.
- Bake until peppers are tender, about 35 minutes. Uncover and bake until cheese is bubbly, 10 minutes more.
- Garnish with green onion, cilantro and top with avocado before serving.