Pesto with Fresh Basil
Summer is the best time to make pesto when the garlic and basil are at its best!
Yield: 1 Cup
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated, freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano is best
- 3 cloves fresh local garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt or to desired taste
- 1/8 tsp fresh ground pepper
- Place pine nuts in a dry skillet and gently heat until lightly toasted on each side, let it cool.
- Add pine nuts, parmesan cheese, lemon juice and garlic to a food processor and pulse. Scrape down the sides with a spatula, add basil and pulse a few times more.
- While the processor is running slowly add olive oil in a steady stream until it begins to emulsify.
- Halfway through adding the oil, stop and scrape down the sides, mix some more and then add salt and pepper.
- Serve tossed in pasta, on homemade pizza, roasted new potatoes or garlic bread.